Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Institute of Mathematics and Informatics
Information Systems Department
Phone: (++359 2) 979 3819
Fax: (++359 2) 971 3649
Postal address: Acad. G. Bonchev Str. Bl. 8, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Web site: http://www.math.bas.bg/infres
e-mail: infres (at) math.bas.bg
|The main scientific and applied interests of Information systems department are:|
|The Department is actively involved in building and maintaining a European infrastructure for free access to scientific information. Currently it has built the largest in Bulgaria archive of scientific journals in mathematics and informatics.|
The "Laboratory for digitization of scientific and cultural heritage" is part of the Information systems department.|
The main activities of the laboratory include the development of computer tools for the librarian and philological work in institutions of cultural memory, and work on the digitization of various types of artifacts from the scientific and cultural heritage as:
|Till now there are scanned and processed more than 100 000 documents.|
The members of the department have been engaged in teaching activities at Sofia University, Plovdiv University, New Bulgarian University, etc. They are authors of many educational programs, courses and textbooks in the area of Computer Science. Members of the Department have been scientific advisors to more than 300 graduate students and PhD students from Bulgaria and abroad.
The Information Systems Department originates from Computer-Aided Programming group formed in July 1963 within the Numerical Methods Department at the Institute of Mathematics of BAS. In November, 1968 the Department on Computer-Aided Programming was established from this group. Later, in February 1971, it was renamed to the "Computer Science Department". In 1995 was renamed to "Information Research Department". In 2009 it was renamed as "Information Systems Department". Since March 2011 the Laboratory for Digitization of Scientific and Cultural Heritage (former Digital Humanities Department) became part of the department. For 30 years, from 1976, the Department had been the main organizer of annual International Programming School as well as the International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Programming.